The Lexus Eco Challenge is an exciting national STEM competition for grades 6–12 that awards a total of $500,000 in grants and scholarships to eligible teachers, students, and schools each year. Featuring three separate challenges, the Lexus Eco Challenge gets students involved in project-based learning, teamwork, and skill building as they work to develop a solution to an environmental issue that affects their community.
Challenge 1: Land & Water Topics
- Landfills, Waste Management, and Recycling
- Forest Destruction/Deforestation and Desertification
- Endangered Species and Loss of Biodiversity
- Water Conservation and Fresh Water Shortages
- Shrinking Wetlands and Aquatic Habitats
- Threats to the World’s Waterways and Oceans, e.g., (Poorly Managed Fishing, Pollution, Coastal Tourism and Development, and Shipping)
The Roughneck Tech Club is busy designing solutions to solve an environmental problem related to land and/or water. Final submissions are due on October 15, 2018, and we cannot wait to see all the creative eco-campaigns our students’ design.